Wednesday, December 1, 2010

EOC: Personal Freedom vs Union Membership

What would you do if you wanted to work for a company and you had to join the union to get the job?

If I really wanted the job I would join the union. I personally do not believe unions will help me accomplish my goals. I also don't believe they can help me with economic security. "Employee's join unions primarily because they believe unions will help them accomplish their goals". Labor unions seem to stand for the protection of their employees, and it is hard to argue that this is not a good thing. But, just like any other organization run by human beings, modern labor unions can be flawed. In recent legislation, there has been a great amount of argument over whether the power of labor unions should be restricted, or increased. Most recently, the Employee Free Choice Act, which moves to make the labor union system more easily accessible to employees, has been met with both expectancy and anger.

What if they called a strike over an issue you did not agree with?
If the union called a strike that I didn't agree with I would have to stand by the union. Being part of the union means you stand by them if you agree or not.
What other issues might concern you if you HAD to belong to get a paycheck?
If I had to get a paycheck none would concern me. I would want to continue to get my paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment